In 2022, YouTube aims to roll out a number of new functionalities, tools, and products for the company’s creators, viewers, and partners — and per Neal Mohan, Chief Product Officer at the platform, some of the features will also be related to the metaverse, blockchain, and non-fungible tokens (NFTs), while looking at how these can be used to ensure more engagement from the platform’s users.
The platform is currently deliberating on the ways it could make viewing its content more immersive, and deeper integration with metaverse functionalities could be part of the solution, according to Mohan.
The new functionalities could be provided via YouTube’s Partner Program which allows creators to make money through the use of the platform. In 2021, the program reached 2 million participants, Mohan said.
“The first area in which you can expect to see an impact is gaming, where we’ll work to bring more interactions to games and make them feel more alive. It’s still early days, but we’re excited to see how we can turn these virtual worlds into a reality for viewers,” he said in a recent blog post.
Mohan also suggests that the Google-owned giant could increase its involvement in the field of blockchain and NFTs, benefiting from the decentralization offered by Web 3.
“Web3 also opens up new opportunities for creators. We believe new technologies like blockchain and NFTs can allow creators to build deeper relationships with their fans. Together, they’ll be able to collaborate on new projects and make money in ways not previously possible,” the CPO said.
As an example, Mohan said that fans could acquire unique videos, photos, artwork, and other products from their favorite creators through YouTube.
“There’s a lot to consider in making sure we approach these new technologies responsibly, but we think there’s incredible potential as well,” Mohan concluded.
– Metaverse – Hype Versus Reality
– Metaverse Trends in 2022: Prepare for More Gaming and New Virtual Experiences with NFTs
– Blockchain Gaming Adoption Jumps, But Regulation & Education Obstacles Are High – Survey
– Crypto-Gaming Is Exploding Into the Playful Future
– Men Who Spiked a Crypto YouTuber’s Coffee to Steal Coins Sent to Jail for 3 Years
– YouTube NFTs
– How Microsoft’s Activision Blizzard Deal Will Fuel Metaverse Gaming Mass Adoption
– Crypto Tech Trends in 2022: UX, Scalability, Metaverse Applications, and Bitcoin Integrations
Source: Crypto News